Personal Spiritual Exercises
Just like physical exercises help strengthen and stretch our bodies for healthy living, these spiritual exercises are meant to move us spiritually in ways that may be new so we might experience inner growth. Since God longs for us to experience Him with our whole selves—mind, body, spirit—we invite you along each week to strengthen your souls with suggestions and prompts. Next week in Life Group, take a few moments to share how the Lord may have used this exercise in your life.
Prayer Focus: Consider going on your own walk to Emmaus with Jesus.
- Take a walk in your neighborhood.
- Talk to Jesus about a confusing situation in your life.
- Ask Him to show you how He is present in this situation.
- Ask Him to bring truth to bear on your circumstances to help you see it from His perspective.
- Listen to what He has to say to you.
- Continue looking for Jesus in your situation and for Him to reveal more truth to you as you read the scriptures during the next week.
Scripture Focus: Read Galatians 5:13-26 each day this week. Consider reading it in several different translations throughout the week – The Message paraphrase is particularly descriptive and beautiful. What might God be saying to you through this passage about walking by the Spirit or keeping in step with the Spirit? Consider writing your responses to this question in a journal.