Personal Spiritual Exercises
Just like physical exercises help strengthen and stretch our bodies for healthy living, these spiritual exercises are meant to move us spiritually in ways that may be new so we might experience inner growth. Since God longs for us to experience Him with our whole selves – mind, body, spirit – we invite you along each week to strengthen your souls with suggestions and prompts. Next week in your Life Group, take a few moments to share how either of these exercises may have changed your outlook on your daily life.
Preparing Your Story: to stretch our awareness of how God has changed our lives. When we prepare our testimony we are ready to share Christ with those around us.
Exercise 1: Set a timer for 15 minutes. Capture some key milestones in your journey with Christ. Be as specific as possible. These details can be used to share your story with others.
- Before you knew Christ, what were some of your needs? What was lacking or what was missing in your life?
- What methods for improving your life did you try that fell short?
- What were the circumstances that caused you to consider following Jesus?
- What made you trust and surrender to Jesus as Lord? (Romans 10:9-10)
- What has become your favorite Bible verse and why?
- Give an example of how God has met your needs – either physical or emotional – since you accepted Jesus.
- Share what you are most grateful for in your relationship with God today.
Exercise 2: You know your testimony and now you feel prepared to share it with someone else. Paul ministered to the Gentiles because God told him to go and make disciples. His heart and passion also remained with his own people, the Jews. Paul suffered greatly to ensure that he could share his story with them. Who are your people? Identify who you are passionate about reaching no matter the cost. Take time to pray for people by name or by category. Ask God to give you moments to share. Pray for wisdom, guidance and courage to respectfully engage and respond in love.