Personal Spiritual Exercises
Just like physical exercises help strengthen and stretch our bodies for healthy living, these spiritual exercises are meant to move us spiritually in ways that may be new so we might experience inner growth. Since God longs for us to experience Him with our whole selves – mind, body, spirit – we invite you along each week to strengthen your souls with suggestions and prompts. Next week in your Life Group, take a few moments to share how either of these exercises may have changed your outlook on your daily life.
Preparing Your Story: to stretch our awareness of how God has changed our lives. When we prepare our testimony we are ready to share Christ with those around us.
Exercise 1: Set a timer for 15 minutes. Capture some key milestones in your journey with Christ. Be as specific as possible. These details can be used to share your story with others.
- Before you knew Christ, what were some of your needs? What was lacking or what was missing in your life?
- What methods for improving your life did you try that fell short?
- Where do you see God pursuing you in this time of your life?
- What were the circumstances that caused you to consider following Jesus?
- What made you trust and surrender to Jesus as Lord? (Romans 10:9-10)
- What has become your favorite Bible verse and why?
- Give an example of how God has met your needs – either physical or emotional – since you accepted Jesus.
- Share about what of your relationship with God you’re most grateful for today.
Exercise 2: You know your testimony and now you feel prepared to share it with someone else. Who are your people? Identify who you are passionate about reaching no matter the cost. Take time to pray for people by name or by category. Ask God to give you moments to share. Pray for wisdom, guidance and courage to respectfully engage and respond in love.
Possible Project Ideas: These ideas and others will be on the Serve Day website on March 6th
- Camp Sonshine—Landscaping at all 3 locations (3 different groups)
- Asian Cultural Center—Cleaning office space (1 group)
- People’s City Mission—Easter Bash Event for the women and children (2-3 groups)
- People’s City Mission—Serving Dinner (1 group)
- Help Center—Sorting donations/Organizing store (2-3 groups)
- City Impact—Landscaping around building (1 group)
- Salvation Army—Landscaping around building and helping them prepare for Easter (1 group)
- Christian Heritage—Landscaping at property (2 groups)
- Christian Heritage—Building project for the “Light the Night” event (1-2 groups)
- Jacob’s Well—Landscaping at their home (1 group)
- Youth for Christ—Landscaping/cutting down trees on their property (2-3 groups)
- Matt Talbot—Preparing Community Garden (1 group)
- McPhee Elementary—Landscaping around school (1 group)
- Prayer Walks around town in different locations (5-7 groups)
- Park clean-ups at various parks around town (5-7 groups)
Propose your own project:
- Host a free garage sale
- Help with home clean-up or repairs for those who are physically or financially unable to do it themselves
- Host an Easter Egg Hunt in your neighborhood
- Ask a local school how you can help
- Serve a hot breakfast to the homeless downtown
- Do a community trash clean-up
- Host a “block party” with food, games, and music for families
- Ask a local business how you can help
- Bring lunch/treats to your local police or fire station
- Drop off treats or notes to those working in a hospital
- Put together “blessing bags” and deliver to the homeless
- Help prepare a neighbor’s lawn for Spring
- Pass out treats and encouraging notes at UNL
- Host your own BBQ in the park
- Walk a trail and pick up trash
- Host a fundraiser for a cause you are passionate about