Study Questions (Suggested time: 40 min)
Please complete these questions prior to your group’s meeting time. Your group’s host will select 2-4 questions that will be discussed together during your gathering time.
1) This past weekend we looked at an amazing miracle that God did through Jesus in raising Lazarus from the dead. As you think back over this weekend’s message, what was one key insight that God gave you? Are there any specific actions you can take based on that insight?
2) In the opening verses of John 11 we learn several things:
- Lazarus is sick (vv. 1, 3)
- Jesus loves Mary, Martha & Lazarus (vv. 3, 5)
- Jesus does not immediately go to help them (vs. 6)
→ How do you think Mary, Martha & Lazarus felt when the messenger returned and said Jesus was not coming right away?
3) Have you ever been in a trial or suffering and it seemed like God was absent? Would you be willing to share about that experience?
4) In verse 14, Jesus expresses a desire to deepen the faith of his disciples. Faith & believing in Jesus is a key concept throughout the gospel according to John and it is mentioned 5 times in this story (verses 14, 26, 40, 42, 45). How has God allowing suffering or trials in your life weakened or strengthened your faith?
→ COVID has us all suffering, and in our grief, it can be hard to find God or faith during these times. If this were an opportunity for you to deepen your belief, what steps of faith could you take?
5) In verses 35 & 38 we see one of the most beautiful demonstrations of the love of Jesus. Even though He knows God is about to call Lazarus from the tomb, Jesus pauses to grieve and weep with the people he loves. How have you experienced/not experienced God’s love during your times of pain and confusion?
→ Read Hebrews 4:14-16. Mary & Martha experienced theses verses in a very personal way and they brought their situation to Jesus and found grace and mercy in their time of need. For what situation do you need to find mercy and grace?